Postal Reform legislation is making its way through Congress. It’s important to do our part to help protect the leasing program. Here are some ways AUSPL lessors can do that.
5 Steps to Get Results from Congress
- Know your representatives in the Senate and House. Visit www.house.gov and www.senate.gov.
- Email or phone calls are best, postal mail often gets delayed due to security measures in the Congress.
- Have a script when calling and ask for the person in charge of postal reform matters.
- Be brief, be positive, ask for a meeting and know you’ll meet with staff, not the lawmaker. The staff actually writes the bills and will get your message to the lawmaker. You are educating the staff; don’t assume they know anything about your concern or the leasing program.
- Follow up with a thank-you note after a meeting, expressing appreciation for their time and interest in your cause.
This is a sample of a conversation you might have with the staff person in charge of postal reform:
Hello. My name is xxxx and I am calling from (city, state).
I am calling to urge (Senator/Representative) to quickly pass measures to adequately reform the Postal Service.
I own xxx post office(s) around the country and I strongly believe that not bringing postal reform to the floor of the House/Senate is hurting everyday Americans like me. This is costing America badly needed jobs when we can least afford it
I appreciate the efforts of the (Senator/Representative) and encourage (him/her) to work for a bipartisan solution to the crisis at USPS. Time is not on our side and further delay should be avoided.